RE: I18N Issue alternative: collapsing plain and xml literals

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:35:01 +0200
To: "Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "pat hayes" <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Pat:
> > actual technical arguments for his requests. They amount to statements
> > of opinion about the proper role of XML in semiotics, opinions with
> > which one may have legitimate disagreement.

Later ... at meeting for call for advancement

W3C Director:      and why did you reject the comment from Durst?
RDF Core WG Chair: it was a matter of semiotics.  (with straight face)
W3C Director:      and what does that mean?
RDF Core WG Chair: please see the RDF Semiotics WD.

"If you get this far they've probably already 'read the signs' which suggest
that you are either eccentric or insane and communication may have ceased. "

end of first paragraph of introduction to Semiotics for Beginners
http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/S4B/sem01.html

(Quoted out of context to completely distort the meaning).

Jeremy