Re: about " 3 "^^xsd:integer

Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 10:15, Jos De_Roo wrote:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#integer says
> > [[
> > integer has the following ·constraining facets·:
> > whiteSpace
> > ]]
>
> I don't see how that's relevant.
>
> The lexical space of the integer datatype is specified thus:
>
> [[[
> 3.3.13.1 Lexical representation
> integer has a lexical representation consisting of a finite-length
> sequence of decimal digits (#x30-#x39) with an optional leading sign. If
> the sign is omitted, "+" is assumed. For example: -1, 0, 12678967543233,
> +100000.
> ]]]
>
> Nothing about spaces.

Moreover (and this may simply be rehashing all the previous discussion,
but it's news to me), the definition of the whiteSpace facet says:

"4.3.6 whiteSpace

[Definition:]   whiteSpace constrains the ·value space· of types
·derived· from string such that the various behaviors specified in
Attribute Value Normalization in [XML 1.0 (Second Edition)] are
realized. The value of whiteSpace must be one of {preserve, replace,
collapse}.

preserve: No normalization is done, the value is not changed (this is
the behavior required by [XML 1.0 (Second Edition)] for element content)

replace:  All occurrences of #x9 (tab), #xA (line feed) and #xD
(carriage return) are replaced with #x20 (space)

collapse: After the processing implied by replace, contiguous sequences
of #x20's are collapsed to a single #x20, and leading and trailing
#x20's are removed.

...whiteSpace is applicable to all ·atomic· and ·list· datatypes. For
all ·atomic· datatypes other than string (and types ·derived· by
·restriction· from it) the value of whiteSpace is collapse and cannot be
changed by a schema author;..."

So the whiteSpace facet is defined as constraining the *value space*,
not the lexical space.  Assuming that's not a typo, it's not clear to me
how any of the actions specified replace and collapse can be applied to
the value space of xsd:integer, since the value space of xsd:integer has
no occurrences of things like #x20's and so on.

What am I missing here?

--Frank