Re: % in URIs

Hmmm... that was a pretty obtuse collection of references,
but I finally found something in there...

The text you use seems to come from:
   http://www.w3.org/International/2002/draft-duerst-iri-00.txt
specifically, the description of mapping IRIs to URIs, which would seem
to be a similar context to what is intended here.

In this context, I think it is assumed that the Unicode URI has already been
formed in a way that the only occurrence of '%' is as part of an escape
sequence.  So in this respect, I now think the current text is correct.

But, this point is demonstrated to be prone to misunderstanding, and I think
a brief note of explanation is in order, e.g.:
[[
'%' is excluded from the list of disallowed octets that must be escaped,
because it may appear in a URI only to introduce an escape sequence,
so an additional application of escaping here would be incorrect.
]]

At 18:04 02/09/03 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>Graham (offlist) wrote:
> > ACTION: 2003-08-29#3 gk check CONCEPTS 6.4 wrt details of URI and "%"
> >
> > cf.  pfps comment on sectin 6.4 of concepts
> >   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JulSep/0282.html
> > [[
> > It appears to me that RDF Concepts does not require % to be %-escaped in
> > RDF URI references (Section 6.4).  Surely this is a bug.
> > ]]
> >
> > So, checking:
> >

> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-concepts-20030117/#section-Graph-URIref
>

> > [[
> > The disallowed octets that must be %-escaped include all those that do
> > not correspond to US-ASCII characters, and the excluded characters
> > listed in Section 2.4 of [URI], except for the number sign (#), percent
> > sign (%), and the square bracket characters re-allowed in [RFC-2732].
> > ]]
> >
> > I think PFPS is right, and that ", the percent sign (%)" should be
> > deleted from the above paragraph.
>
>I tried to take the text from the usual suspects and minimize the
>divergence between different W3C specs.
>
>cf in particular
>
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-charmod-20030822/#sec-URIs
>
>which links to
>http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-2e-errata#E26
>http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#link-locators
>http://www.w3.org/International/2002/draft-duerst-iri-00.txt
>
>None of these %-escape %.
>
>I believe that w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org and uri@w3.org may be appropriate forums
>for discussion of this issue.
>
>I am unwilling to make a change before the 5th September publication.
>Nor would I be happy with a change that is opposed by a consensus in the
>above forums.
>
>I am not yet convinced that this materially affects RDF since we *never*
>require the escaping to actually be performed, it is merely a theoretical
>exercise that defines a set of strings. I believe that the set of strings
>is the same whether or not % is itself escaped.
>
>Jeremy

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org