Re: Action needed: subClassOf on datatypes

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:32:35 +0100 (BST)
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>, pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Jan seems to argue with DanC for option (e) - that somehow or other
> datatyping subClassOf is extensional, whereas elsewhere it is intensional.

Absolutely not.

> I guess I find that really quite problematic.
>
> I seem to remember being isolated in defending the extensional semantics
> for subClassOf; I can't understand what (some of) the rest of you want -
> you got rdfs:subClassOf as intensional, but a least be consistent, and
> forget your extensional intuitions.

My opinion is that the "best" solution is that a "datatyping
interpretation" would include additional axiomatic triples where
subClassOf relationships should exist. I'd thought that was option (e).
If it's not, make it (f) and I cast my vote for that: extensional
throughout, with the possibility of a DT interpretation including SCO
triples by fiat.

Hang on, wasn't he holding a wooden parrot? No! It was a porcelain owl.