Re: Action needed: subClassOf on datatypes

At 11:22 02/09/03 -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:
[[
re 'who is responsible'?

Nowhere in our SW specs (to my knowledge) do we profess to care about
*who* makes such assertions, or for that matter *when*, *where* or
*Why*. All we care about is whether they are sensible (ie. meaningful)
things to assert, and if so, what they mean.
]]

Well, yes, I guess that's partly why I think that, having chosen an
intrinsic interpretation of the subclass relation, it's problematic to
treat datatypes differently.  My use of words "who is responsible" may be
unfortunate in that it clouds the issue.

But, returning to my example, in the absence of a specific inference (ala
extrinsic subclass), if one has two independently defined datatypes whose
value spaces happen to be in subset relation,  how can the semantics of
such independent definitions include a relation between them?

At 11:22 02/09/03 -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:
>* Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org> [2003-09-02 16:10+0100]
> >
> > At 07:57 02/09/03 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
> >
> > >(e) note that semantics of datatypes includes subClassOf
> > >relationships.
> >
> > I'm uneasy with that.
> >
> > Who is responsible for defining the relevant triples that cannot be
> > inferred?
> >
> > Suppose I have datatypes
> >
> >   xsd:integer
> >
> > and
> >
> >   foo:EvenNumbers
> >
> > where the latter's value space is subset of the first's.
> >
> > Who is responsible to say:
> >
> >   foo:evennumbers rdfs:subClassOf xsd:integer
> >
> > ?
>
>re 'who is responsible'?
>
>Nowhere in our SW specs (to my knowledge) do we profess to care about
>*who* makes such assertions, or for that matter *when*, *where* or
>*Why*. All we care about is whether they are sensible (ie. meaningful)
>things to assert, and if so, what they mean.
>
>Dan
>
> > I think it's easier to leave it unsaid, and allow anyone who needs the
> > subclass assertion to addf it in the knowledge that it's not inconsistent.
> >
> > #g

> > Graham Klyne
> > GK@NineByNine.org

Graham Klyne