Re: MIME type regostration notes

At 13:41 31/10/03 +0000, Brian McBride wrote:
>Thanks Graham.  There appears to be a new process for registering
>mime-types that has just closed IETF last call.
>
>   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-mime-p4-04.txt
>
>Does this affect us?

Possibly, but not seriously I think:
[[
3.1.1 Standards Tree

    The standards tree is intended for types of general interest to the
    Internet Community. Registrations in the standards tree MUST be
    approved by the IESG and MUST correspond to a formal publication by a
    recognized standards body. In the case of registrations for the IETF
    itself, the registration MUST be published as an RFC.

    Media types in the standards tree are normally denoted by names that
    are not explicitly faceted, i.e., do not contain period (".", full
    stop) characters.

    The "owner" of a media type registration in the standards tree is
    assumed to be the standards body itself.  Modification or alteration
    of the specification requires the same level of processing (e.g.,
    standards track) required for the initial registration.
]]

Might just make things easier, in that we don't have to go for RFC
publication of Aaron's draft, though since we're this far down the line I
don't know if we want to change that.

There's also new stuff on security requirements, but I think we pass there
by largely by virtue of referencing general XML issues.  Aaron did note the
added semantic dimension, but I don't think we yet know what more to say
about that.