Re: N-Triples VS RDF/XML bNode identifiers

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:08:09 +0000
To: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>

Jan Grant wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, pat hayes wrote:
>

>>Well, OK, but guys, he has a point. Why not just tweak Ntriples to
>>allow all of ASCII? That wouldn't break any of our stuff and it would
>>be generally good-citizen-ish.
>

> I believe that the (tacit) motivation is to maintain some level of
> compatibility with N3, where (in particular) "-" is a reserved
> character.

I was sure there was a reason and was waiting for it to appear.  I
expect a response, probably from Dave, along the lines of:

- lunch ain't free - because RDF/XML is not restricted to US ascii, but
permits international characters, an implementation must do some
processing to translate RDF/XML bnode ID's to b-triples bnode IDs

- the n-triple b-node id's are designed to be compatible with N3 as some
implementations use N3 processors

should put this one to bed.

Brian