normative statement that xsd:string subclass of plain literals

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:35:39 +0100
To: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Dave Reynolds was asking me about the relationship between plain
literals and xsd:string, i.e is a plain literal without a lang tag
(modulo some funny characters) an xsd:string.

I adopted the policy of referring him to the spec and indeed he came
back and said "found it, its in the bit about entailment rules."

"Bu**er", I said, that section is now informative!

I just wanted to check whether we have a normative statement in the
specs that

_:a eg:prop "aaa" .

xsd:string entails

_:a eg:prop "aaa"^^xsd:string .

for suitable values of "aaa".  I should check this myself, but I'm
burned this morning and don't want to forget ...

Anyone know?  Does it matter?  Is there anything else we might have lost
by making that section informative?