RE: Fwd "a comment on NFC"

From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:10:49 +0100
To: Francois Yergeau <FYergeau@alis.com>, "'Brian McBride'" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 12:55 02/10/03 -0400, Francois Yergeau wrote:
>The last part, however, is not consistent with the first.  If data SHOULD be
>normalized, then implementations SHOULD NOT accept it when not normalized
>(but may, if "the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed
>before choosing a different course" [RFC2119] is fulfilled) and SHOULD issue
>a warning in such circumstances.

I disagree with this... I don't think we should be prescribing what to do
with bad inputs ... it's up to an implementation how it wishes to deal with
error situations.

Particularly since, in this case, I see no reason why different RDF
implementations that choose to accept and process such non-NFC data as
valid would arrive at different conclusions.

#g

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org