Re: Error in current WG test cases?

pat hayes wrote:

>> In a message on 25th July [1] I noted that the tests:
>>   rdfms-seq-representation/Manifest.rdf#test002
>>   rdfms-seq-representation/Manifest.rdf#test004
>> appeared to be incorrect.
>

> No, they are correct.

The RDFCore message thread [2] responding to my previous reporting of this
seemed to indicate otherwise, I guess I misunderstood or something has changed.

> The stuff mentioned in the conclusion doesnt have
> to be mentioned in the assumption.  However, it is fine for a FORWARD
> rule-based reasoner not to generate all valid conclusions from an empty
> graph, just as it would make sense not to generate everything from a
> contradiction. But think of a query-responding engine that is given the
> conclusion as a query: it could just say YES without even bothering to
> check into its KB.

We're not using a (purely) forward rule-based reasoner, we are running the
tests via a query interface, and would have no problem implementing it, if
that is the correct thing to do.

My reading of the LC2 working drafts (not the editor's draft) is that a
query to an empty model of the form:

   * rdf:type rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty

should return empty, due to the restriction of the rdfs axioms to the
vocabulary {V U crdfV U rdfsV}. Is that right (again in the LC docs not the
editor's draft)?

I guess this would be framed as a negative entailment test of the form:

    "does the empty graph entail the graph:
    _:a rdf:type rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty ."

If this understanding is right then that is why I felt the vocabulary in
the conclusion does have to be mentioned in the assumptions. It would be
rather inconvenient if a query of this form returned empty but a query for
a specific rdf:_1 property returns a match.

I guess all this is now moot. I see from [3] that the semantics document
has changed to drop the crdfV restriction so the above wildcard query
should return an infinite set of matches. Is that correct?

This seems like quite a big post-LC2 change.

Dave

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Jul/0324.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Nov/0041.html