Re: webont-01 'rename schema' proposal

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:07:58 +0100
To: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 22:19 24/05/2003 +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:

[...]

>"schema" is, to my mind, a perfectly respectable generic term.  I don't
>think that because it's used in the phrase "XML schema" we should be
>bullied out of deploying the equally reasonable term "RDF schema".

I regret the use of the emotive term 'bullied'.  I see no evidence of the
XML schema folks putting any pressure on us about the use of this term.

I have however observed a tendency from folks, and not just those from the
XML world, to assume that a schema language supports validation and this
can cause some confusion.

Personally, whilst I can see advantage to a name change, I think its too
late, but as always, will be guided by the wisdom of the WG.

Brian