pfps-25 schema semantics

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 11:23:01 +0100
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, pfps@research.bell-labs.com, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Pat, Peter,

I think the Schema Doc and the semantics doc are now in sync on these so
I'm proposing a formal motion to close below.  Please let us know if
there's a problem I missed.

Sitting together, Danbri and I have been reviewing issue

that concerns a number of discrepancies between the schema doc and the
semantics doc.

The first point is:

- Schema states ``Each instance of rdfs:Datatype is a subclass of
   rdfs:Literal'', but this is only a consequence of D-interpretations, not

The current editors draft of the semantics doc

now says that this relationship is a consequence of RDFS -
interpretations.  Pat please can you confirm this.

- Schema states ``rdf:XMLLiteral is an instance of rdfs:Datatype and a
   subclass of rdfs:Literal''.   The second part of this is not even a
   consequence of D-interpretations.

These assertions are now also included in RDFS interpretations as stated in
the editors draft of the semantics doc:

Pat - confirm?

- Schema states
	``The rdfs:domain of rdf:type is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:domain of rdfs:label is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:domain of rdfs:comment is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:domain of rdfs:comment is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:domain of rdfs:member is rdfs:Resource.''   @@@@@@
	``The rdfs:range of rdfs:member is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:range of rdfs:first is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:range of rdf:subject is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:range of rdf:resource is rdf:Property.''
I presume Peter meant the range of rdf:Predicate is rdf:Property
	``The rdfs:range of rdf:object is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:domain of rdfs:seeAlso is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:range of rdfs:seeAlso is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:domain of rdfs:isDefinedBy is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:range of rdfs:isDefinedBy is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:domain of rdfs:value is rdfs:Resource.''
	``The rdfs:range of rdfs:value is rdfs:Resource.''
   but none of these are consequences of RDFS-interpretations.  (Well,
   actually Semantics is vague about most of these, as there is a vague
   addendum to the conditions on RDFS-interpretations that indicates that
   some domain and range assertions ``may be taken to be rdfs:Resource''.
   In my view this vagueness is inappropriate for the definition of

Semantics is no longer vague about these.  It specifies them as above,
except that the one marked @@@@@ is incorrectly stated.

   1) modify the semantics document to state that the rdfs:domain of
rdfs:member is rdfs:Resource.
   2) that the current semantics editors WD, modified as per 1) addresses
this comment