Re: open concepts issues - proposals for xmlsch-05 and xsmlsch-06

This looks promising.  I have a couple of nits.

1.

>From
>"if E is a plain literal then I(E) = E"
>http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#gddenot
>"if E is a plain literal "aaa" then I(E) = aaa"
>"if E is a plain literal "aaa"@ttt then I(E) = <aaa, ttt>"
>
>The textual gloss is:
>"Plain literals, without embedded datatypes, are always interpreted as
>referring to themselves: either a character string or a pair consisting of
>two character strings."

My suggestion for the above is to replace "referring to" with "denoting",
particularly since you propose to use that term in the concepts
document.  (Rationale:  "denoting" seems to have a fairly stable meaning
when used in this context;  I don't know if this is so for referring, since
the latter term seems to get us into the "what is a resource territory" .

2.

>PROPOSE to accept; with rewording (added 'not' and 'except for')
>
>[[
>A plain literal is a string combined with an optional language
>         identifier. This should not be used except for plain text
>         in a natural language. As recommended in the RDF formal semantics
>         [RDF-SEMANTICS], these plain literals are self-denoting.
>]]

I'm not sure what this is intended to mean.  It reads as if to say that all
plain literals should be used only for plain text in a natural language,
which I don't think is right (e.g. strings that are product serial numbers,
or from vehicle licence plates, etc.).  I think you mean to say that
*strings with language tags* should be used only for plain text in a
natural language, which I think is better.  So I think the wording should
be a little clearer:

[[
A plain literal is a string combined with an optional language
         identifier. The language identifier should not be used
         except with plain text in a natural language.
         As recommended in the RDF formal semantics
         [RDF-SEMANTICS], these plain literals are self-denoting.
]]

BTW, have we agreed to use the term "language identifier", or are we
following RFC 3066 [1] and using the term "language tag"?

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>