RE: Languageless Typed Literals

Point taken.

My strong preference is then for option 1, reverting (in a sense)
XML literals to the M&S definition.

This has the additional benefit that lexical forms can be left
as-is in the graph per the RDF/XML serialization and only need be
canonicalized when testing for equality.

Thus, plain and XML literals both may take lang tags and neither
are typed literals nor fall within the scope of RDF datatyping.

Typed literals do not take lang tags, period.

This avoids all the headaches relating to the bizzare datatype
rdf:XMLLiteral.

Patrick