IFF semantics of subClassOf history

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:25:01 +0200
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

In the April 2002 draft

The model theory had if-then intensional semantics on subClassOf
subPropertyOf, whereas various entailment rules depended on the
missing -only-if (rdfs5, rdfs7 and rdfs8)

While there was some discussion of domain and range before summer 2002, the
next step was:

Recent attempts (in collaboration with Peter and Ian) to reconcile
the RDF(S) MT with the emerging OWL MT have suggested that it would
be good to make a technical alteration to the semantic conditions for
(To emphasize, this change makes the MT *more* conventional
rather than less, ie this is the standard way to do it)

Graham seem to win the day with this comment:

Returning to Pat's proposed change [1], I think I can see that the IFF is
appropriate for rdfs:subClassOf and rdfs:subPropertyOf, because they are
directly related to expectations of class membership.  I'm not so convinced
the same considerations apply to rdfs:range and rdfs:domain.

We finally got to discuss it at the October 25 telecon

and the crucial comment seemed to be connolly:
waiting for decisions? the WG is *not* in the critical path
any more; there are no pending issues.
the WG has no open issues and proposes editors just proceed

and Pat then implemented Graham's position.