Re: blank nodes out the wazoo

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:25:42 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>At 16:42 09/06/03 -0500, pat hayes wrote:
>>While fixing a silly mistake in the MT document, I noticed the
>>following. We require that RDF graphs contain no redundancies in
>>the sense that the same triple cannot occur more than once in the
>>graph. However, they can contain redundancies in the sense that a
>>triple with a bnode in it can be duplicated with a different bnode,
>>even though the resulting triples would look the same in a graph
>>diagram. The resulting graph has no extra information in it, but
>>this quirk allows an RDF graph to have infinitely many
>>consequences. For example, a single triple
>>a p b .
>>has infinitely many consequences;
>>_:x p b .
>>a p _:y .
>>_:z1 p _:z2 .
>>_:z3 p _:z4 .
>>-:z5 p _:z6 .
>>where all these bnodes are distinct; see attached jpeg.
>>My question is, does the WG feel that it might be worth ruling this
>>out as a syntactic possibility? If this kind of bnode-duplication
>>were ruled out, then the set of graphs simply entailed by any RDF
>>graph would be finite.  That would generalize the
>>no-duplicate-triples condition implicit in our definition of a
>>graph as a set, to treat triples which 'look' the same when you
>>erase the bnode labels as though they literally were the same.
>From an implementation perspective, I'd be concerned about ruling
>out redundant bnode triples as syntactically disallowed.  I think
>this would make the implementation of merging two
>syntactically-valid graphs very much more difficult (but not

Yes. and after sleeping on it, I think its best not to tinker with
the syntax at this stage in any case. And I am pretty sure that I can
handle the problem without doing anything so drastic.

So, Never Mind.

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell