Re: first pass parseType="Literal" text for primer

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 30 Jul 2003 11:23:16 +0100
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>, rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, i18n <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 22:21, Martin Duerst wrote:
> Hello Brian,
>
> I think it is important to stay as close as possible to the
> actual specs, so I appreciate David's corrections,

me too.

> but I think
> they are irrelevant to your main point at hand,

Sorta - the only thing I was really trying to do was to help create a
notation where we could communicate clearly.  I appreciate the
improvements you have made to it.  Its always such a relief when one
gets to the point of feeling like we can communicate effectively.

[...]

> >C(x) is cannonicalization of x, encoded as a UTF8 octet sequence, e.g.
> >C("&") is the octet sequence corresponding to "&amp;".
>
> This is dangerous, because you have missed one escaping level.

Right - another mistake.  Should have been:

  C("&amp;") = ...

[...]

> (4)
> Concrete Syntax: <eg:prop pt="L"><br/></eg:prop>
>
> Abstract Syntax: "<br></br>"^^rdf:XML
>
> Denotation:
>      sequence(markup('<br>'), markup('</br>'))

This seems like the key notion you are introducing.  That we could have
defined/adopted a different "value space" for XML.  We did, at one point
have something similar on the table; there was a suggestion that
parseType="Literal" should generate an RDF representation of the
infoset.  I can't remember why we dropped it - those brian (sic) cells
have gone.

I think we've got greater clarity now, so I can butt out again.