RE: RDF Concepts editors draft updated

At 17:31 22/07/03 +0200, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>Trying to incorporate comments from Pat, Frank and Martin ...

I think this is better.  I have some stylistic comments, modulo acceptance
of the broader thrust...

>[[
>For text that may contain markup, the use of
>typed literals
>with type rdf:XMLLiteral is suitable.

"suitable" seems an odd word to use here.  Suggestion:
[[
For text that may contain markup, use datatype rdf:XMLLiteral literals.
]]

>In such cases, if a language tag is required it must be
>explicitly included within the markup, usually
>as the value
>of an xml:lang attribute.

This presumes a particular form of language annotation.  Suggestion:
[[
If language annotation is required, it must be explicitly included
as markup, usually by means of of an xml:lang attribute.
]]

(I suggest this runs on directly following the previous sentence.)

>[XHTML] may be included within RDF in this way.
>For mixed content XHTML requiring a language tag
>an xml:lang
>or lang attribute can be included on an additional span or div element.

This seems to repeat some of what has gone before.  Suggest:
[[
[XHTML] may be included within RDF in this way.
For mixed content XHTML an xml:lang or lang attribute can be
included on an additional span or div element.
]]

All taken together, this would yield:
[[
For text that may contain markup, use datatype rdf:XMLLiteral literals.  If
language annotation is required, it must be explicitly included as markup,
usually by means of of an xml:lang attribute.

[XHTML] may be included within RDF in this way.  For mixed content XHTML an
xml:lang or lang attribute can be included on an additional span or div
element.
]]

BTW, what's "mixed content XHTML"?

Are we going to try and relate this to Brian's suggestions [1] for the Primer?

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Jul/0244.html

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>