Re: Comment/testcase I18N-01?

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2003 14:42:43 +0100
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>, i18n <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 14:13, Dave Beckett wrote:

> > DaveB: is my reading of syntax correct?
> No.

> That string is entirely defined by Exclusive XML Canonicalization text
> (with comments) which is linked directly from [1] and since that
> normatively uses Canonical XML, which says:
>   "Special characters in attribute values and character content are replaced by character references"
>   -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315#Terminology
> and in detail:
>   [[Text Nodes- the string value, except all ampersands are replaced by
>   &amp;, all open angle brackets (<) are replaced by &lt;, all closing
>   angle brackets (>) are replaced by &gt;, and all #xD characters are
>   replaced by &#xD;.]]
>   2.3 Processing Model, http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315#ProcessingModel
> That should be:
> _:a <eg:prop> "<em>&lt;br /&gt;</em>^^ rdf:XMLLiteral .

Ok.  I should have known better.  I didn't read far enough down the

The text states that the following triple is added to the graph:

  e.parent.subject.string-value <e.URI> o.string-value

where o.string-value links to:

        The value is the concatenation of the following in this order
        """ (1 double quote), the value of the ·literal-value· accessor,
        """ (1 double quote), "^^<", the value of the ·literal-datatype·
        accessor and ">".

This is then overridden by

The string used as the lexical form of the XML Literal is the Exclusive
XML Canonicalization [XML-XC14N]) with comments and with empty
InclusiveNamespaces PrefixList of the literal text l, i.e. the entire
element content of this property element.

The term lexical form of the XML literal does not bind strongly to
o.string-value.  Thats why I got confused.