Re: keep RDFS a separate layer from RDF

At 16:42 11/07/03 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 16:18, Graham Klyne wrote:
> > Until now, I've understood that, as a working group, we've been moving
> > toward defining RDF *and* RDFS, without being particularly concerned about
> > layering the defining documents.
>
>Not so;

Well, as a working group, we *have* been creating normative documents
covering both RDF and RDFS...

>I was very concerned about this in my Nov 2002 review
>of RDF concepts:
>
>   "<CRITICAL>...the normative documentation of RDF doesn't include RDFS"
>   --
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Nov/0001.html
>
>and you accepted the comment.
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Nov/0076.html

Hmmm... I interpreted your comment there to relate to the idea of being
able to use RDF without committing to use of RDFS, and were seeking to
avoid language that suggested otherwise;  I still agree with that.   I did
not interpret it as a request to downgrade the status of RDFS or to
completely separate treatment of RDFS from RDF.  My apologies if I did not
read your comment closely enough.

I think it is useful, and reflective of much actual practice with RDF, to
have both namespaces mentioned in Concepts.  As to whether they're
normative or not, I think that's less important.  Given that the URIs are
specified normatively in the corresponding syntax/semantics/vocabulary
documents, I'm tempted to suggest that section 4 of Concepts not be normative.

> >   I think it's rather late in the day to
> > start backing away from this position.
>
>On the contrary, it's rather late to start mixing them.
>
> > Lacking some more compelling rationale, I'm inclined to decline this
> request.
>
>I hope you find this compelling.
>

> > #g
> > --
> >
> > At 09:59 11/07/03 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
> >
> > >Please keep links from concepts to [RDF-VOCABULARY]
> > >informative, and add a note to semantics that
> > >while it specifies both languages, it completely
> > >specifies RDF without reference to RDFS.
> > >
> > >In particular, strike the 2nd bullet under
> > >"4. RDF Core URI Vocabulary and Namespaces (Normative)"
> > >http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-concepts-20030117/#section-
> URIspaces
> > >
> > >http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema# (conventionally associated with
> > >namespace prefix rdfs:)
> > >
> > >and move the [RDF-VOCABULARY] citation from the list of
> > >normative references to the informative references.
> > >
> > >--
> > >Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/
>
>--
>Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/