Re: Last call comments that made RDF Core remove lang from XML Literals

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 01:16:04 +0100
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org

Hi Martin,

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 23:55, Martin Duerst wrote:
> I have not yet gotten a satisfactory picture of why actually RDF
> Core dropped language information from XML Literals post last call.
> I would really like to better understand why this happened.
>
> I asked Brian today about where to find the relevant material,
> and he pointed me to
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#semantics,
> in particular to the issues with 'XML Literal' in their title.
> I have carefully scanned these, and all the other last call
> issues on this document, extracted all I thought *might*
> be potentially relevant below, and commented on them.

Yes, sorry if you didn't find everything from there.  I couldn't find
the link I was really looking for at the time.

A good place to start is the minutes of the meeting where the decision
was taken:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003May/0138.html

You want agenda item 12.

> The overall conclusion is that none of them requests to remove
> language information from XML literals, neither directly, or,
> as far as I could infer, indirectly. So I'm still at a loss
> why this was done.

Hm, yes, the email trail isn't that helpful.  As I recal, a major
motivation was difficulty with the semantics, and strong feedback from
Peter.  Pat?

I still can't find the email I'm looking for.

Ah, found it:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Jul/0076.html

  http://www.w3.org/2002/07/29-rdfcadm-tbl.html