missing text (was :Re:XML observation)

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:56:59 -0500
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org

The end of a paragraph got lost in an edit in my last message, sorry.

Pat
-------

I note that XSD datatyping is curiously ambivalent about language
tagging of strings, which are arguably merely a form of text (a case
which has been made very strongly by some members of Webont and the
RDF WG, who feel that plain literals and literals typed with
xsd:string should be indistinguishable.) I think we - that is the
entire world, not just the RDF WG - need to get this distinction
between character strings considered as objects, and text considered
as a description,worked out more carefully.  It gets particularly
tangled when the text contains markup, of course, and traditional
mechanisms like quoting probably need to be extended in new ways.

-------

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell