missing text (was :Re:XML observation)

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:56:59 -0500
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org

The end of a paragraph got lost in an edit in my last message, sorry.

I note that XSD datatyping is curiously ambivalent about language
tagging of strings, which are arguably merely a form of text (a case
which has been made very strongly by some members of Webont and the
RDF WG, who feel that plain literals and literals typed with
xsd:string should be indistinguishable.) I think we - that is the
entire world, not just the RDF WG - need to get this distinction
between character strings considered as objects, and text considered
as a description,worked out more carefully.  It gets particularly
tangled when the text contains markup, of course, and traditional
mechanisms like quoting probably need to be extended in new ways.

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell