Re: Proposal (re rdfms-literal-is-xml-structure)

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 10:02, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:
> OK folks,
>
> In the interests of satisfying all interested parties,
> I offer the following proposal for an alternative
> solution to the present one, based on nothing new,
> just a partial roll back to a more traditional M&S
> treatment of XML literals.
>
> Changes:
[...most of this looks clear and straightforward...]
> --
>
> All of the following:
>
> 4. <rdf:Description rdf:about="#x">
>       <ex:foo rdf:parseType="Literal"><xhtml:b>bar</xhtml:b></ex:foo>
>    </rdf:Description>
>
> 5. <rdf:Description rdf:about="#x">
>       <ex:foo>&lt;xhtml:b&gt;bar&lt;/xhtml:b&gt;</ex:foo>
>    </rdf:Description>
>
> 6. <rdf:Description rdf:about="#x" ex:foo="&lt;xhtml:b&gt;bar&lt;/xhtml:b&gt;"/>
>
> generate the same triple:
>
>    <#x> ex:foo "<xhtml:b>bar</xhtml:b>"@fi .

I'm uncomfortable with that... my strong intuition is that this
loss of information is going to hurt.

Meanwhile, I've been aware of the issue for over a year...
wow, more like two...
http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-literal-is-xml-structure

and I haven't developed any particular implementation experience
that validates my intuition. cwm doesn't really grok
parseType="Literal" at all, and it would probably be easier
to support this interpretation of it. So I'm not in a position
to object.