RE: XML observation

Exactly. And those using each individual markup language
will know how best to address the markup of language
scoping for their XML fragments encapsulated in RDF as
literals.

In fact, if a given markup language does *not* provide
a means of defining arbitrary spans of mixed content
qualified for particular language, then I18N should be
slapping the designers of those markup languages around,
not RDF.

RDF needs to be neutral/agnostic to the nature of literals,
including XML literals, and that includes not positing
its own flavor of wrapper element of XML literal content.

> And <span> or <div>, even if they are fairly 'neutral',
> are additional markup.

So is xml:lang. One uses what one must to express what
one needs to express.

No?

Patrick