RE: XML observation

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:59:14 -0500
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: <duerst@w3.org>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

>>  - Whereas the XML conventions for real datatypes in many ways can be
>>     taken as just a notational convention for abstract concepts such as
>>     'integer' that RDF treats as abstract concepts, in the case of
>>     XML literals, we are dealing with marked-up text, and so there the
>>     abstraction we are dealing with is XML, not just the notation.
>>     (if RDF would want to create their own abstraction of marked-up
>>     text, that would be a different thing, but currently, it doesn't)
>
>Again, you seem to be presuming that if it is an XML literal, it
>is natural language content. That presumption unfounded.

In fact, the very existence of RDF/XML illustrates this. Like it or
not, RDF/XML is legal XML, so can itself be enclosed in an RDF XML
literal; but one would not expect that RDF/XML to inherit any
attributes of the outer RDF/XML.

Pat

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell