Re: XML observation

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:08:38 +0100
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
CC: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com, phayes@ihmc.us, rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Martin Duerst wrote:

> BTW, I would like to insist again that because of examples such as
> multilingual strings, bidirectionality, ruby, and so on, and the
> fact that for the usage scenarios we see, XML Literals are just
> extensions of plain literals, the need for keeping language on
> XML literals is really not just because of RDF/XML (which is of
> course also one of many reasons).

All these usage scenarios are embedded XHTML rather than embedded XML. I
point this out to stress that span (or div) *is* a viable work around. The
argument that some XML may not have a neutral element is spurious, in that
in such cases we are talking about embedded data, when Patrick's arguments
have additional weight.

Jeremy