Re: [Fwd: Re: Summary of strings, markup, and language tagging in RDF (resend)]

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:55:53 +0100
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

(note I am not copying i18n et al.)

Brian McBride wrote:

>   - RDFCore considered retaining the wrapper element, but decided not to
> because it is more complicated for *implementors* (I note i18n's
> arguments are more user centred)

I am not convinced by the "*implementors*" part here.

At the time I got the impression that the rest of the group just found what
I was advocating (retaining the wrapper element) too complicated.

I don't think we discussed "too complicated" for whom.

After, as I was contemplating the arguments made by the rest of the group
it seemed that really this "too complicated" is too complicated for someone
beginning RDF, it's a dirty hack whose inelegance is such that it will put
people off understanding this construct.

Since, as Pat so rightly points out, we take the G view, we are unwilling
to have a hack that messes that up badly.

Jeremy