Re: XML observation

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:18:48 +0100
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
CC: phayes@ihmc.us, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org, duerst@w3.org

Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:

 > And, Martin, in case you get the impression that I am simply
 > callous to multilingual issues, let me point out that (a) I have
 > a Master's Degree in computational linguistics, (b) am multilingual,
 > (c) work with over 5 million pages of modular documentation and
 > billions of individually managed resources which represent over
 > 40 different languages, and (d) that language scoping is a key
 > component of most of what I do. So when I disregard xml:lang in
 > RDF/XML, it is because doing so is both a sound engineering and
 > also practical management decision.

I would also point out that many members of RDF Core can point to similar
commitments to I18N issues; RDF Core has consistently come to I18N for
advice; we have studied and taken heed of charmod; there has been much
support and little resistance to support for I18N issues.

RDF developers have already deployed NFC checking code, whereas XML
developers are resisting the NFC constraints in XML 1.1

Jeremy