RE: Formal Objections: [was Re: regrets for 2003-01-17]

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:21:07 +0000
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com, <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: <me@aaronsw.com>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

At 08:47 20/01/2003 +0200, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:

> > Likewise, I'm sure Patrick stated his objections on
> > behalf of Nokia, and I believe they're part of the WG
> > proceedings, though I'm not sure which part could
> > serve as a succinct statment of his position; perhaps
> > he'd like to nominate or write something.
>
>C.f.
>
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Sep/0160.html
>
>Though note that after a significant amount of internal discussion
>and debate, we decided not to formally oppose the present
>solution, and the chair was notified of that. Though there
>remains a strong degree of dissatisfaction in certain aspects of
>it (namely the tidy treatment of untyped literals resulting
>in the need to recode large amounts of existing content and
>the lack of a mechanism for implicit datatyping).

Patrick,

Thanks for the clarification.  If I read that correctly, you are saying
that Nokia has NOT raised a formal objection to the datatyping solution
adopted and therefore I am currently planning not to reference the message
identified above.  I do think it would be appropriate to encourage feedback
on the datatyping solution in particular, as it has caused the WG most
difficulty.

Brian