Formal Objection: overly-complex datatypes solution

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:48:15 -0600
To: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

I object to the proposed datatypes solution. It is overly-complex,
requiring RDF processors to understand a large system of datatypes and
their relations. (It also has many edge-cases that are likely to cause
more of the problems and incompatibilities this WG was chartered to
fix.) It is backwards-incompatible, requiring all software with RDF
data structures to be changed.

I support the rdfs:format datatypes proposal of Dan Connolly:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0031.html
It is simple, elegant, and fully backwards-compatible.

I also support the null datatypes proposal.
--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com/]