Re: Type of (the denotation of) a plain literal

At 04:10 PM 1/16/03 +0000, Brian McBride wrote:

>At 18:41 15/01/2003 +0000, Graham Klyne wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to answer a question that's come up in the CC/PP working group.
>>
>>Can a plain literal be regarded as an instance of xsd:string?
>>
>>I think it's fairly clear that a plain literal with a language tag is not
>>an xsd:string,
>
>Yes
>
>My recollection is that the WG discussed this at a telecon and agreed to
>arrange things to that it would be possible that a plain literal without a
>lang tag could denote a member of the value space of xsd:string, i.e. we
>agreed that a plain literal with a lang tag did not denote a pair with a
>null lang tag, but just denoted a string.

Thanks for remembering this.

I vaguely remember some discussion, but I did not recall a resolution.

>If this needs clarifying, I suggest we do so in last call, and as Patrick
>says, as part of clarifying the class hierarchy of xsd datatypes.

I think it does need clarifying, and that doing so during last call is fine.

But, I think (given the way the MT is written) the abstract syntax needs to
be clearer
about what a plain literal *is*, separately from clarifying the xsd
datatype hierarchy.

(I think the xsd:string definition is quite clear about what it's values
are;  I think we need to match that clarity -- see my original message [1],
particularly the references)

I've added this to my issue list.

[1]  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Jan/0084.html

Graham Klyne