Re: Social meaning discussion 6th March

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 00:06:56 +0000
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
CC: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isis.unc.edu>, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

tbl:

>>> 2. The meaning of the statement is defined by the definition
>>> of the predicate, as applying to the subject and object identified by
>>> the
>>> definition of the subject and object terms.

Danbri:

>> This for me is the crux: do we mean the machine oriented 'definition'
>> in RDFS or OWL or N3, or some more rounded/scruffy/social notion of
>> definition.

I find Bijan's observation compelling
[[
But there's no vague, much less precise, definition of "defining
information". And I'm a logical reasoner, will this information be opaque
to me? (Well, if in German, yes, but *all* human reasoners?)
[...]
So it's formal meaning isn't fixed IN ANY WAY by the "authority"? And the
social meaning?
]]

Two points:
- "whatevers available" is simply not clear enough.
- RDF has decided to avoid the notion of definition for the formal
semantics, we shouldn't then have it in the informal semantics.

For me, either of these is fatal. This cat has had its nine lives.

Jeremy