analysis of RDFS use of term 'namespace'

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:34:41 -0500
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

per <DanC> ACTION danbri: review primer for 'namespace'
in 2003-02-28 telecon...

[[
 grep -i namespace Overview.html
vocabularies. The core vocabulary is defined in a namespace informally
called 'rdfs' here. That namespace is identified by the URI-Reference
href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20030123/#section-Namespace">RDF namespace</a> http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#.</p>
change to the namespace URIs used, nor to the prefix 'rdfs' traditionally
used to indicate the vocabulary description language's namespace URI . The
moving to a new RDFS namespace URI.</p>
defined in other namespaces may be used to provide richer documentation.</p>
is a class defined in another namespace.</p>
namespaces.</p>
      href="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/"><cite>Namespaces
serialization syntax. Please note that the namespace URI for the RDF Schema
href="rdfs-namespace.xml">rdfs-namespace.xml</a>). It is not currently
href="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#">namespace URI</a>.</p>
]]

I think most of these could be adapted to use 'vocabulary' or talk about
xml namespae names instead of alluding to a class of things that are
'xml namespaces'.

I do note one usage, 'RDFS namespace URI' that I'd be reluctant to
change to say 'vocabulary', though I could live with that.

So, RDFS summary: we could avoid using namespace as a noun relatively easily.

Dan