attempting to remove confusion RE: designating datatypes

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:44:14 +0000
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

This topic is beginning to generate long emails which may be redundant if
the cause is a minor confusion.  If so maybe we can save a little effort.

At 10:52 25/02/2003 -0600, pat hayes wrote:

>>I think I agree with Patrick on this one.
>>The last call WDs show a URI denoting a datatype but not part of the
>>datatype denoted.
>Lets forget about 'part of'.

I think that's the term that caused the problem, and that Pat just withdrew it.

The cause of the problem is that folks (including me) are worried that Pat
is proposing a change to what a datatype is, and since we are using the XML
Schema datatype model, that could be a problem.

Having read the latest MT doc:

I don't think that is what is happening, but I'm not sure.  I think the new
semantics doc hasn't changed what a datatypes is, but has introduced the
URIREF of the datatype into the *formal machinery* describing the semantics
of the datatype, which is probably ok.

Lets try a test case.  From

[Definition:]  In this specification, a datatype is a 3-tuple, consisting
of a) a set of distinct values, called its ·value space·, b) a set of
lexical representations, called its ·lexical space·, and c) a set of
·facet·s that characterize properties of the ·value space·, individual
values or lexical items.

So xsd:decimal denotes a 3-tuple, and the URIREF of the datatype is not a
component of the 3-tuple, nor is it 'part-of' any component of the 3-tuple.

Pat, does the semantics document say anything that conflicts with this