Re: designating datatypes

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:00:00 -0600
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>  >>>pat hayes said:
>>  Dave, you might be interested in a change Im proposing to the
>>  datatypes section in the semantics document, as follows, in response
>>  to a comment by Peter. It introduces the 'name' as an integral part
>>  of a datatype. This is a patch and if you can think of a better
>>  terminology and a pointer to a suitable spec I  would be delighted.
>>  3.4 Dattayped interpretations
>>  A datatype is an entity named by a uriref and characterized by a set
>>  of character strings called lexical forms and a mapping from that set
>>  to a set of values. (The built-in datatype rdf:XMLLiteral,
>If it is built-in, won't you have to say a bit more?

Its already been described in an earlier section (as part of RDF) at
this point.

>   Maybe put this
>after defining what an (RDF) datatyped interpretation is.
>>  exceptionally, allows pairs in its lexical space.) Exactly how these
>>  sets and mapping are defined is a matter external to RDF.
>>  Formally, we will describe a datatype d as a 4-tuple consisting of
>>  1. A uriref called the name of d
>>  2. A set of character strings called the lexical space of d
>>  3. A set called the value space of d
>>  4. A mapping L2V(d) from the lexical space of d to the value space of
>>  d, called the lexical-to-value mapping of d
>So now you could say there is a built in datatype, and it is defined
>[HERE] or give pointers:
>1.  Name:           URI reference rdf:XMLLiteral
>2.  Lexical Space:  }
>3.  Value Space:    } See
>4.  Mapping:        }
>If you follow that link you'll see the terminology is similiar, but
>concepts calls it the datatype URI not name.  Maybe we should stick
>to one term?  Datatype name?  Datatype URI?

I'm happy with datatype URI. But shouldn't it be URI Reference?

IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam