[collections] Re: Web Ontology Working Group Consensus Review of RDF Core documents

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:57:13 +0000
To: RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

While I recognize that there are significant technical difficulties to
allowing literals in list-collections, I also have considerable sympathy
with the view expressed here.  In my own work with RDF, using Notation3
rather than the XML syntax, I have found lists containing literals to be a
useful feature.

At 05:17 PM 2/20/03 -0500, you wrote:
>WOWG comments on RDF language decisions
>i. Design of rdf:XMLLiteral and rdf:parseType="Literal":
>The full integration of this feature of RDF into OWL necessitates that the
>denotation in the domain of discourse be fully defined by the source RDF/XML
>file. We therefore request that you remove sufficient implementation
>variability to ensure that this is the case.  An example fix would be to
>require an RDF/XML parser to use a specific canonicalization on input.
>ii.Constraints on rdf:parsetype="Collection"
>We would prefer that rdf:parsetype="Collection" would be allowed to be a
>list of datatype literals, not just a list of RDF node elements. This,
>would permit some constructs in OWL that are difficult under the current

Graham Klyne