Re: pfps-06 hold off?

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:52:14 -0700
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>Consider a meeting with the director requesting advancement to PR.
>Director:  Hmmm, quite a few of the implementations seem not to be
>implementing this test case.
>WG:  That's because we defined the L2V mapping strictly according to
>XSD datatypes and don't include white space processing.
>Director:  Well, if that is what the implementations are doing, why
>don't you allow white space processing in the mapping.

Because our task is to write a standard which conforms to some other
standards, in particular XSD (charter). If the world in general
chooses to mis-use these standards, it isn't our job to track their
mis-use. That's the Microsoft way; we are obliged (and IMO, morally
obliged) to follow the Godzilla way. If we write a standard which
assumes that people are mis-using the XSD spec, then it will be
impossible for *anyone* to conform to RDF +XSD.

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell