Re: document status update

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:02:26 +0100
To: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo@agfa.com>
CC: "Dan Connolly <connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, Eric Miller <em@w3.org>, Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org, w3c-rdfcore-wg-request@w3.org

Jos De_Roo wrote:

>>>I'm waiting on one thing. As I understand it, the value spaces of
>>>xsd:integer and xsd:decimal no longer intersect.
>>>
>>What?!?!?!?!?
>>

> I'm also stupified. On the other hand Pat told us about
> disjoint value spaces in XSD. So far I assumed that
> xsd:integer a rdfs:Datatype; rdfs:subClassOf xsd:decimal.

There is no possible reading of XSD that does not have this.

I will try and clarify:

- XSD has primitive simple types (e.g. decimal) and derived simple types
(e.g integer).
- one reading of XSD suggests that different primitve types are disjoint.
- a different reading of XSD suggests that different primtiive types may
share members.
- both readings agree that a derived type has a value space that is a
subset of its supertype.

- we have recently clairified that rdf:XMLLiteral's value space is disjoint
from the value space of any XSD simple type. This decision *does not* say
anything about whether two XSD types intersect or not.

So - knowing that xsd:integer is derived from xsd:decimal, we know that the
two types are also in rdfs:subClassOf relationship.

The test is unchanged, and I believe Jan had got the wrong end of some
stick ...

Jeremy