xml:lang in exclusive C14N - digging through the archives

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:28:11 +0100
To: w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

I spent a little time trying to understand what position I18N took on the
exc-c14n last call draft, which included the design decision to discard
xml:lang, for which RDF Core is now getting so much grief.

In summary, the dropping of xml:lang when a XML fragment is being carried
within a larger XML document, does not appear to be a new issue, but one
that was considered and accepted by I18N two years ago.

Detail:

Misha forward the last call to I18N:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-ig/2001Nov/0043.html

There was some concern about the xml:lang issue
[[
ACTION: Martin to ask for a health warning re problem with Exclusive
Canonicalization, where xml:lang and perhaps namespaces get ignored when
signing a payload.
]]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-ig/2002Feb/0020.html
(12th Feb)

This resulted in (as far as I can tell):
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-ietf-xmldsig/2002AprJun/0065.html
(apr 21)

(There seems to have been some off-list traffic just before)

However, as far as I can tell, the end result was acceptable to I18N.

(The minutes of the next I18N telecon record the action as done)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-i18n-ig/2002Apr/0106.html

Jeremy