Re: Fwd: RE: RDF -- venn diagram for resources, literals, properties, statements?

From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:27:19 +0100
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Jeremy,

I think we have consensus, from our email discussions about the Concepts
document, that the preferred term for the syntactic component is "predicate".

I don't think we've said anything about the term "property" used in
isolation.  The phrase "Properties of I" that I used was taken directly
from the semantics document cited, which is why I used that particular form
of words, and why I introduced the Interpretation (I) to give it context.

I think I was quite careful not to claim more than we've agreed or was
already stated in the documents.

As it happens, I'm not sure that trying to say that unqualified "property"
means the semantic member of IP would be particularly helpful.  I've been
muddled about this in the past, so I tend to think it would be better not
to create a new "term of art" unless we really have to.

>From: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
>To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
>Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:23:47 +0200
>Subject: RE: RDF -- venn diagram for resources, literals,
>properties,   statements?
>Sender: w3c-rdfcore-wg-request@w3.org
>

>Predicates vs Properties
>

>On another list, Graham said ...
> > I think you need to be careful to distinguish between things in the
> > syntactic domain (including the RDF abstract syntax) and things in the
> > semantic domain:
> >
> > Syntax:
> >    Graph
> >    RDF Triples
> >    Subjects
> >    Predicates
> >    Objects
> >    Literals - plain and typed
> > -- [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Graph-syntax
> >
> > Semantic:
> >    Interpretation (I)
> >    Resources of I (IR)
> >    Properties of I (IP)
> >    Literal values of I (LV)
> > -- [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#interp
> >
> > There was some discussion that "Statement" should refer to (roughly) the
> > semantic interpretation of a triple.  I can find no specific
> > reference for
> > this.
>
>is the predicate vs properties distinction one that we are making in our
>documents? It looks plausible to me, but I've not seen it articulated
>before.
>
>Jeremy

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>