Re: proposed closure of vass-02 / property instances

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:59:31 -0500
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>Instantiation of properties
>  Furthermore, although the RDF/S specification claims that properties
>  are first-class citizens, properties are not treated as equally as
>  classes. In RDF/S, both a metaclass of classes and a metaclass of
>  properties is a class, in contrast to Telos, where a metaclass of
>  individuals is a class, but a metaclass of properties (metaproperty)
>  is a property. Hence, while in Telos a metaproperty can have domain
>  and range, in the RDF/S model it cannot. Furthermore, at the data
>  layer, a property cannot be of type property, as in the case of
>  resources and classes. This is attributed to the fact that the
>  rdf:type property is applicable only for classes and RDF/S does not
>  provide us with an instantiation mechanism for properties at the data
>  layer. The current version of the RQL data model preserves this kind
>  of asymmetry in the manipulation of properties.
>I propose that we acknowledge that RDF puts limits on the treatment
>of property-instances (aka statements)

Is that in fact what is meant by 'property instances' in the above? I
don't see how the text of the comment makes sense with that
interpretation, nor that it corresponds to the Telos model (as far as
I can understand that, admittedly.)

Seems to me that this comment is based on a systematic
misunderstanding of RDFS, one that is exhibited in the papers the
comment cites. For example, the comment " a property cannot be of
type property.... the rdf:type property is applicable only for
classes and RDF/S does not provide us with an instantiation mechanism
for properties at the data layer" , if I follow it, seems to be flat
wrong. Properties *are* of type rdf:Property; and Im not sure what is
meant by 'data layer', but RDFS does provide an instantiation
mechanism for properties, viz. rdfs;subPropertyOf.  If one uses OWL
it is easy to specify a subproperty to be a single instance.  Perhaps
this is based on a mistaken impression that RDF classes cannot, or
maybe should not, contain properties?

Apart from matters like its built-in temporal model,  the basic Telos
framework described by Mylopoulis is, as far as I can see, all easily
and straightforwardly representable in RDFS, perhaps augmented with a
little OWL here and there to indicate some restriction classes.
Telos is based on a triples model; Telos 'attributes' can be RDF
properties, for example. As Mylopousis et al (1990)
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/mylopoulos90telos.html  point out, "The
first-class status of attributes and the ability to define attribute
classes and metaclasses plays a particularly important role....a
sparse framework can be used to accomplish a great deal."  Some of
the properties, eg those used to encode attributes, might have to be
considered as 'constraints' rather than as merely assertions, but
this is a familiar issue we have dealt with elsewhere: it only means
that a full Telos reasoner would have to impose some extra
Telos-specific interpretation.

>as describable things. But that we
>do not accept any reason to change the RDF design at this time.

>Regarding Property instances as resources:
>I propose...
>  * the WG discussed this issue at various times in the context of reification

I don't think this has anything to do with reification.  RDFS *does*
have property instances as resources. They are subproperties.

>   and revisions/clarifications to RDF's formal model per the
>original 1999 spec.
>  * the mission of RDF Core as a WG is explicitly a clarificatory one; we
>  are not designing a new RDF, but clarifying the existing one.
>  * many RDF _implementations_ allow for property instances (statements) to be
>   tagged, grouped, labelled etc.
>  * there are proposals (eg. N3) which make such facilities explicit within a
>   Semantic Web data language.
>  * the WG will note to the Semantic Web Coordination Group that Last Call
>  comments were received on this, and that any (currently hypothetical)
>  RDF 2 charter designs should take this into account.
>  * we do not intent to change the RDF formal model. While acknowledging that
>  a variety of alternate designs might have also been deployable, we
>believe the
>  current design is workable and has been implemented successfully.
>The basic situation imho is that there are plenty of design choices we could
>have taken; some more Telos-like. But we're at the stage in our
>process where we
>are fixing bugs, rather than shopping for a complete new design.
>In that context, the proposal is to reject the LC comment on our WDs.

I think we should reject it rather more forcibly, however.

IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam