Re: Proposed response for timbl-02 (reification semantics)

From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:58:39 +0100
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 07:33 10/04/2003 -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:
>the RDF statement
>
><s2> <p2> <o2> .
>
>...occurs in the RDF schema referenced.
>
>Now you don't formally define 'occurs' here.
>For the sake of our example scenario, let us assume that <s2>, <p2> and
><o2> URIrefs are not anywhere to be found in the RDF document that
>the 'source' property references.
>
>The work of our health warning is to help RDF vocabulary creators use
>language in their defintions for properties such as this which won't
>raise inaccurate expectations. In this case, an inaccurate expedtation
>would be that the URIs <s2>, <p2> and <o2> are labels on a triple
>from the graph serialized in the RDF schema document referenced by the
>source property. (or some refinement of that; it's hard to word this stuff)

I think I agree with that last bit...

The _statement_ which can be represented by the _triple_ "<s2> <p2> <o2> ."
is asserted by (or entailed by, though that would seem to be less direct)
the RDF schema referenced.  The triple itself does not necessarily appear
in any representation of the schema.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>