Re: Proposed response for timbl-02 (reification semantics)

From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:58:39 +0100
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 07:33 10/04/2003 -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:
>the RDF statement
><s2> <p2> <o2> .
>...occurs in the RDF schema referenced.
>Now you don't formally define 'occurs' here.
>For the sake of our example scenario, let us assume that <s2>, <p2> and
><o2> URIrefs are not anywhere to be found in the RDF document that
>the 'source' property references.
>The work of our health warning is to help RDF vocabulary creators use
>language in their defintions for properties such as this which won't
>raise inaccurate expectations. In this case, an inaccurate expedtation
>would be that the URIs <s2>, <p2> and <o2> are labels on a triple
>from the graph serialized in the RDF schema document referenced by the
>source property. (or some refinement of that; it's hard to word this stuff)

I think I agree with that last bit...

The _statement_ which can be represented by the _triple_ "<s2> <p2> <o2> ."
is asserted by (or entailed by, though that would seem to be less direct)
the RDF schema referenced.  The triple itself does not necessarily appear
in any representation of the schema.

Graham Klyne