RE: tex-01 new proposal

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:18:04 +0100
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

At 15:33 04/04/2003 +0200, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> > On this one, I don't see any harm in having parsers transpose lang
> > tags to lowercase and NTriples only having lowercase lang tags.
> >
>I do not like NTriples being changed in this way, that seems to make things
>worse from the point of view of tex's comment.

I note that the role of (RDF/XML) parsers is to create an abstract syntax
graph from RDF/XML input, not N-triples.  I think *requiring* parsers to
case-normalize is over-specification, and I think the case-agnostic view
for the abstract syntax proposed by Jeremy is about right. [**]

But adopting a convention for N-triples, which is a concrete representation
of an abstract syntax graph, that case-insensitive values are presented as
lower case seems to address the other concerns I have heard.

[**]  Note: this doesn't mean that parsers MUST NOT case-normalize where
appropriate:  that is an implementation decision.

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>