Proposed response for timbl-02 (reification semantics)

From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:59:05 +0100
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Here's something from which to knock off the rough edges (and blatant
errors)...

<draft text>
With reference to:
   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#timbl-02

We have considered your comment about changing the semantics of
reification, and subsequent suggestions to remove reification altogether
[2].  (This response does not address the bagId question you raised, which
will be dealt with in a separate response.)

In our discussions, we noted three significant applications that use
reificiation as currently defined (e.g. [1], two others users who claimed
to use reification as currently defined were RolandS(?) and Patrick
Stickler).  We note and agree that reification as defined does not address
the particular problems you hoped it would solve [3], but considering that
other users of RDF have found it useful leads us to the conclusion that
reification should remain as defined.

We believe that the clarification of reification that you suggest [3] is
provided by the discussion and non-entailment mentioned in the RDF formal
semantics [4].

Can you please respond to <www-rdf-comments@w3.org> indicating whether this
response answers your concern.  Thank you.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Apr/0108.html

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0241.html

[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0477.html
(recorded as issue timbl-02:)