Re: Issue timbl-03 Collection Clutter

>At 10:52 26/03/2003 +0000, Dave Beckett wrote:
>
>>Brian, please assign an issue ID for this LC comment on the syntax WD.
>
>Tim,
>
>Thanks for this comment that has been recorded as:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#timbl-03
>
>The RDFCore WG will consider this comment and respond in due course.

Re this, the range properties on rdf:first and rdf:rest do in fact
make these assertions redundant, as Tim says.

Pat

>Brian
>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Dave

>>>  This comes with apologies as a late last call comment on the RDF syntax
>>>  document.
>>>  http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#nodeElement
>>>
>>>  I believe that in 7.2.19 Production parseTypeCollectionPropertyElt
>>>    the wording
>>>
>>>  """For each event nin s, the following statement is added to the graph:
>>>
>>>  n.string-value <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
>>>  <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#List> .
>>>

>>>  """
>>>
>>>  adds redundant triples to the graph.
>>>  I believe that waste of time and space at this level in the
>>>  architecture is unnecessary, and that that wording should be removed
>>>  (and any other reference to the adding type statements for Lists where
>>>  a rdf:first is there).
>>>
>>>  It is trivial to restore the triples for anyone who wants them fro a
>>>  graph without them,
>>>  using
>>>  { ?x rdf:first ?y } =>  { ?x  a rdf:List }.
>>>
>>>  Clutter at this level of the semantic web stack is very much of a
>>>  burden.
>>>
>>>  I am sorry that I had never noticed that line before.
>>>  I have been using lists for a long time without generating those
>>>  redundant triples.
>>>
>>>  Tim BL
>>>
>>>  --Apple-Mail-55--539790636
>>>
>>>  This comes with apologies as a late last call comment on the RDF
>>>  syntax document.
>>>
>>>  http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#nodeElement

>>>  Production parseTypeCollectionPropertyElt
>>>
>>>  </fontfamily></bold> the wording

>>>  the following statement is added to the graph:

>>     ing-value
>>>  </color><<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
>>>  <<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#List> .
>>>

>>>  """
>>>

>>>  adds redundant triples to the graph.
>>>
>>>  I believe that waste of time and space at this level in the
>>>  architecture is unnecessary, and that that wording should be removed
>>>  (and any other reference to the adding type statements for Lists where
>>>  a rdf:first is there).
>>>

>>>  It is trivial to restore the triples for anyone who wants them fro a
>>>  graph without them,
>>>
>>>  using
>>>
>>>  { ?x rdf:first ?y } =>  { ?x  a rdf:List }.
>>>

>>>  Clutter at this level of the semantic web stack is very much of a
>>>  burden.
>>>

>>>  I am sorry that I had never noticed that line before.
>>>
>>>  I have been using lists for a long time without generating those
>>>  redundant triples.
>>>

>>>  Tim BL

IHMC					(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam