Re: LC Issue timbl-01 choices

At 17:04 02/04/2003 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:
>[[
>Might you be persuaded that in these circumstances, the best course of
>action is to leave it to a new, fresher WG to consider these issues and
>that that WG would be best placed to decide how to move current use to
>whatever solution they propose.
>
>In the meantime, the best strategy for the current WG is to reduce the
>prominence of the existing vocabulary, whilst at the same time clarifying
>its specification for those who have chosen to use it.
>]]
>
>Graham/Jeremy: is there any chance you can propose a disposition for this
>for Friday as well.

Hmmm... the decision seems to be fairly clear-cut choice:

(a) reject
[[
Reification as defined is implemented in RDF parsers, and we believe that
there is some actual use, even if the exact meaning is unclear.
]]

(b) accept
[[
Reification does not live up to its intended use, may be a future source of
complexity and interoperability difficulties, and is hence removed from the
RDF specification.
]]

I suppose there might be a third way:
(c) fudge (deprecate)
[[
Reification as defined is implemented in RDF parsers, and we believe that
there is some actual use, but lack of clarity and failure live up to its
intended use mean that it mar be a future source of complexity and
interoperability difficulties.  Use of the reification vocabulary remains
legal RDF, but is not encouraged and is expected to be superseded by better
defined vocabulary based on broader implementation experience in future
revisions of RDF.
]]

(a) and possibly (c) remain options only if we decide to pull the plug on
bagId.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>