why I object (was: Intentions of XMP)

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:49:31 -0500
To: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

An Adobe XMP developer wrote:
> We store as RDF because it works. We are not RDF theory centric. We
> are not
> at all concerned with the formalisms of triples. The Adobe toolkit has
> no
> notion of triples and tries to not explicitly expose RDF.

I believe this is the kind of reality this group needs to confront.

As long as we continue to throw more needless things into the core like
this, we will confuse and alienate such key developers. If this working
group wants RDF to be popular, it should focus on simplifying it rather
than make it more complicated.

As XMP demonstrates, if apps want to do value-based comparisons, they
will do so with or without a decision from us. Let's stop enforcing
complexity on all for the benefit of few.

--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com] RDF: Five years of failure.