Re: Some excerpts from AdobeXMP SDK Documentation

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:22:40 +0100
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, "w3c-rdfcore-wg" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

At 11:09 26/09/2002 +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:

[...]

> > Is there a way to express the entailment directly in the XMP api so we can
> > execute the test?
>
>I don't see this as a valid question.  Or at least, not one that
>provides an illuminating answer.

Oh, then my question must not have been clear.  You claim that XMP is
untidy.  I am asking whether there is an objective test whether an API is
tidy or not.

That is a valid question, right?

>Any API that provides for both string-based comparisions and value-based
>comparisions will both provide for and not provide for the entailment
>you suggest, presuming <b> and <d> have differing, incompatable datatypes
>(e.g. string and integer).

I think I see what you mean.  But the question remains, is there a way of
expressing the entailment in the XMP API.

>The salient feature of the XMP API which IMO suggests a value-based bent,
>is that there are numerous access and manipulation functions which are
>intended to insulate applications from the details of lexical representation.

Ok, fine - that is the test you are applying.  Could you take a look at the
Jena API and tell us what conclusion you reach when applying the same test.

   http://www.hpl.hp.com/semweb/javadoc/com/hp/hpl/mesa/rdf/jena/model/Statement.html