Re: syntax and semantics

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:24:27 +0300
To: "ext Jan Grant" <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: "w3c-rdfcore-wg" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

> > 1. Two nodes which may not be semantically equal must have distinct
> >    labels (i.e. inline literals must be given unique labels)
>
> I believe this has already been most succinctly summarised by Jeremy,
> who at one point observed that,
>
> "The WG resolves to abide by the conclusions of elementary mathematics"
>
> :-)

Perhaps this is true for 2-5, but I don't think it is true for 1. And
if inline literal nodes were syntactically tidy, then 2-5 would preclude
untidy semantics.

Thus, the essential point here is that if 2-5 reflect "the conclusions
of elementary mathematics" then 1 must be adopted if we are to have
untidy semantics of inline literals.

I.e. inline literals must have systemIDs or some other means of
globally unique label.

Patrick