xml:lang and XML infoset: two new datatypes

From: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:15:33 +0200
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

I'm suggesting to treat strings with xml:lang specifiers as a new
datatype (call it "language-tagged string"), disjoint with xsd:string.
Similarly, XML infosets should simply be yet another datatype, disjoint
with any other XSD datatype.

These two datatypes were essentially defined as such in the original RDF
spec. Now that we have a general-purpose datatyping mechanism, we can
make use of it. The two datatypes should get their own URIs.

If there is enough support for that, I'd like to put the above point for
vote at the next telecon.

The current proposal for representing typed values in the abstract
syntax (URI + string) fails for the above datatypes. Therefore, I'm also
suggesting that this overspecification is not required. In the abstract
syntax, typed literals may be kept as opaque constants, whereas the
applications may use their internal representation of choice.

Sergey